In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Earley like this:
EARLEIGH, Earley, or Early, a liberty and a chapelry in Sonning parish, Berks. The liberty lies near the Reading and Guildford railway, 2½ miles SE of Reading; and has a post office under Reading, and a r. station. Real property, £5, 065. Pop., 566. Houses, 118. E. Court -belongs to Viscount Sidmouth; Maiden-Earleigh, to B. Golding, Esq. The chapelry includes part of Woodley, and was constituted in 1854. Pop., 774. Houses, 154. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Oxford. Value, £175.* Patron, the Vicar of Sonning, The church was built in 1844.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Earley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wokingham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Earley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Earley, in Wokingham and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Earley".