In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Handley like this:
HANDLEY, a township and a parish in Great Boughton district, Cheshire. The township lies near an affluent of the river Dee, 2¼ miles WSW of Tattenhall r. station, and 7½ SE by S of Chester; and has a post office under Chester, and fairs on 10 March and 10 Sept. Acres, 1, 334. Real property, £2, 608. Pop., 294. Houses, 62. The parish includes also the township of Golbonrn-David, and comprises 1, 967 acres. Real property, £3, 559. Pop., 364. Houses, 76. The property is subdivided. Building stone is quarried. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chester. Value, £253. * Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Chester. The church was re-built in 1854, but retains an ancient tower. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Handley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Chester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Handley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Handley, in Chester and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Handley".