In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eaton By Congleton like this:
EATON, a township-chapelry in Astbury parish, Cheshire; on the river Dane, 2 miles NNE of Congleton. Acres, 1, 224. Real property, £3, 078. Pop., 485. Houses, 100. Eaton Hall here is the seat of J.Antrobus, Esq.; and was rebuilt in the manner of Crew Hall. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £207. Patron, J.Antrobus, Esq. The church was built in 1857.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eaton By Congleton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Macclesfield. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eaton By Congleton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eaton by Congleton, in Macclesfield and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eaton By Congleton".