In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dutton like this:
DUTTON, a township in Great Budworth parish, Cheshire; on the river Weaver, the Grand Trunk canal, and the Grand Junction railway, 5½ miles NW of Northwich. Acres, 2, 076. Real property, £4, 035. Pop., 442. Houses, 53. It was known at Domesday as Duntune; and it belonged to the ancient family of Dutton, who had jurisdiction over the minstrels and pipers of the county. Dutton Hall was built in 1513 by the Duttons; and remains of it exhibit fine features of the architecture of its period. A viaduct of 20 arches, each 63 feet in span, and 60 feet high, takes the Grand Junction railway over Dutton Bottom, across the valley of the Weaver. A workhouse for Runcorn district was recently erected in Dutton.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dutton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale Royal. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dutton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dutton, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dutton".