In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Doddington like this:
DODDINGTON, a township and a chapelry in Wybunbury parish, Cheshire. The township lies near the North-western railway, adjacent to Salop and Staffordshire; 3¼ miles S of Basford r. station, and 5½ SE by S of Nantwich. Acres, 588. Real property, £1, 334. Pop., 71. Houses, 13. The chapelry was constituted in 1840. Post town, Wybunbury, under Nantwich. Pop., 566. Houses, 106. The manor belonged, in the time of Edward II., to the Praers; passed to the Brescies, the Delves, and the Broughtons; and belongs now to Sir H. ...
D. Broughton, Bart. The old manor-house was taken in 1643-4, by Lord Byron; and the present mansion, Doddington Hall, occupies the same site; and is a Grecian edifice. Some remains are near it of a castle, built in 1364, with statues of Lord Audley and his squires who fought at Poictiers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, not reported. Patron, Sir H. D. Broughton, Bart.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Doddington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Crewe and Nantwich. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Doddington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Doddington, in Crewe and Nantwich and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th February 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Doddington".