In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Slaithwaite like this:
SLAITHWAITE, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Colne, the Huddersfield canal, and the Leeds and Manchester railway, 4½ miles WSW of Huddersfield; and has a station on the railway, a post-office‡ under Huddersfield, and two annual fairs.-The township comprises 2,320 acres, and is in Huddersfield parish. Real property, £6,424; of which £13 are in quarries, and £120 in gasworks. ...
Pop., 2,932. Houses, 575. The manor belongs to the Earl of Dartmouth. S. Hall includes remains of the ancient manorial residence. The railway, in its course through the township, traverses two viaducts of 18 and 19 arches. Mineral baths are here, with fine gardens, amid romantic scenery: and are much frequented in summer. The woollen manufacture is carried on.The chapelry contains also Lingards township, in Almondbury parish; and comprises 2,820 acres. Pop., 3,715. Houses, 724. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £192. Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The church was partly rebuilt in 1856. There are four national schools, and an endowed school with £42 a year.The sub-district contains also another township and a part, and comprises 10,740 acres. Pop., 7,971. Houses, 1,599.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Slaithwaite has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kirklees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Slaithwaite and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Slaithwaite, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Slaithwaite".