In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Challow like this:
CHALLOW (East), a chapelry in Letcombe-Regis parish, Berks; on the Berks and Wilts canal, 1 mile WNW of Wantage, and 2 SE by S of Faringdon-Road r. station. Post Town, Wantage. Real property, £3,186. Pop., 391. Houses, 84. The property is much subdivided. There are extensive agricultural implement works. The living is a p. curacy, united with West Challow, in the dio. of Oxford. Value, £100.* Patron,Ferrard, Esq. The church was restored in 1858.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing East Challow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering East Challow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Challow, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "East Challow".