In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cardington like this:
CARDINGTON, a village and a parish in the district and county of Bedford. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ouse, adjacent to the Midland railway, 2½ miles SE of Bedford; and has a station on the railway. The parish includes also the township of East Cotts. Post Town, Bedford. Acres, 5,170. Real property, £9,079. Pop., 1,419. Houses, 275. Cardington House is the seat of the Whitbreads; and was, for some years, the residence of the philanthropist Howard. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £245.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is later English. There are an Independent chapel, a handsome industrial school, a British school, alms-houses with £50 a year, and other charities £28.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cardington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bedford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cardington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cardington, in Bedford and Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cardington".