In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Saffron Walden like this:
Saffron Walden, mun. bor., market town, and par., Essex, 15 miles S. of Cambridge and 43¾ miles NE. of London by rail, 7410 ac., pop. 6060; P.O., T.O, 2 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. Saffron Walden has an iron foundry, breweries, &c., and is an agricultural centre, with markets for cattle, corn, and farm produce. It is a place of great antiquity, with remains of a castle built or rebuilt shortly after the Conquest. It was made a mun. bor. in the time of Edward VI.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Saffron Walden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Uttlesford. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Saffron Walden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Saffron Walden, in Uttlesford and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Saffron Walden".