In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bidston like this:
BIDSTONE. a township and a parish in Wirrall district, Cheshire 'The township lies on the Hoylake railway, 3 miles WNW of Birkenhead; and has a railway station. Acres, 1,689. Real property, £3,062. Pop., 282. Houses, 48.The parish includes also the townships of Moreton-cum-Lingham, Claughton-cum-Grange, and Saughall-Massey or Saughan-Massie; and its Post Town is Birkenhead. Acres, 4,248. Real property, £20,130. Pop., 2,154. Houses, 323. The property is subdivided. Bidstone Hill commands a fine view of the surrounding country, the Mersey, and the Irish sea. ...
A lighthouse, 50 feet high, stands on the hill, showing a fixed light, elevated 300 feet above high-water, visible at the distance of 23 miles, and leading, when in line with Leasowe light, through the Horse channel at the Mersey's mouth; and a telegraph was adjacent, communicating eastward with Liverpool, and westward, through a chain, with Holyhead. Waterworks for Birkenhead, and a cemetery with two chapels, were being formed in Bidstone in 1862. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £98.* Patron, the Bishop of Chester. The church is excellent. Claughton and Moreton are separate benefices. A school has an endowed income of £15, and other charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bidston has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wirral. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bidston and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bidston, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th August 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bidston".