In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described St Mary Hoo like this:
HOO, or HOO-ST. MARY, a village and a parish in Hoo district, Kent. The village stands 1½ mile S of the Thames, 6 ENE of Higham r. station, and 6½ NE of Rochester; and occupies a comparatively high site, with a belt of marsh between it and the Thames.The parish comprises 2, 196 acres of land, and 670 of water; and its post town is Rochester. Real property, £3, 882. Pop., 264. Houses, 50. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £502.* Patron, the Rev. R. G. Burt. The church consists of nave and chancel, with a tower.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing St Mary Hoo has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Medway. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering St Mary Hoo and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of St Mary Hoo, in Medway and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "St Mary Hoo".