In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanbadarn Fawr like this:
LLANBADARN-FAWR, a parish in Rhayader district, Radnor; on the river Ithon, 7 miles NE of Newbridge-on-Wye r. station, and 8½ WNW of New Radnor. It is divided into the townships of Brinhyfedd and Cellws; and it contains the village of Penybont, which has a postoffice designated Penybont, Radnorshire. Acres, 3,646. Real property, £2,708. Pop., 475. Houses, 79. The property is much subdivided. Penybont Hall is the seat of J.Severn, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. David's. Value, £268. Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church has a S doorway of seemingly very early Norman work, with some curious carving in the tympanum; and is in good condition.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanbadarn Fawr has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanbadarn Fawr and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanbadarn Fawr, in Powys and Radnorshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th August 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanbadarn Fawr".