In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bekesbourne like this:
BEAKSBOURNE, or Bekesbourne, a parish in Bridge district, Kent; on the Canterbury and Dover railway, 2¾ miles SE of Canterbury. It is a member of the cinque port liberty of Hastings: and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Canterbury. Acres, 1,115. Real property, £2,393. Pop., 475. Houses, 92. The property is divided among a few. Beaksbourne House is the seat of Dr.T. Beke. The living is a vicarage, in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £187. Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is perpendicular English; was restored in 1843; and contains the monument of Hooker, who became vicar in 1595. The parsonage has been much modernized; yet contains features which were in it in Hooker's time.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bekesbourne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Canterbury. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bekesbourne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bekesbourne, in Canterbury and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st May 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bekesbourne".