In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ifton like this:
IFTON, a parish in Chepstow district, Monmouth; on the South Wales rail ay, adjacent to the Severn, 2 miles NE of Portskewet-Junction r. station, and 3 SW of Chepstow. Post town, Chepstow. Acres, 1, 155; of which 495 are water. Real property, with Roggiett, £3, 058. Pop., 20. Houses, 4. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Roggiett, in the diocese of Llandaff. There is no church.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ifton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ifton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ifton in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th February 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ifton".