In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sandon like this:
SANDON, a village and a parish in Royston district, Herts. The village stands 3 miles S S E of Ashwell r.station, and 4¾ S S W of Royston; and has a post-office under Royston. The parish contains also the hamlet of Redhill, and comprises 3, 943 acres. Real property, £6, 159. Pop., 771. Houses, 172. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £325.* Patron, the Bishop of R. The church is ancient. There are an Independent chapel at Redhill, and a national school at Churchend.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sandon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sandon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sandon in North Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sandon".