In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described New Hutton like this:
HUTTON (New), a township and a chapelry in Kendal parish, Westmoreland. The township lies on the river Beetha, 3 miles ENE of Oxenholme r. station, and 4 E of Kendal. Real property, £1,603. Pop. in 1851, 157; in 1861, 127. Houses, 24. The decrease of pop. was caused by decrease of manufacture. Hutton Common here contains the reservoir of the Lancaster and Kendal canal.The chapelry includes the township of Scalthwaiterigg, Hay, and Hutton-in-the-Hay. Real property, £4,769. Pop., 631. Houses, 113. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to the Earl of Lonsdale. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £80. Patron, the Vicar of Kendal. The church is modern. There is a free grammar school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing New Hutton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lakeland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering New Hutton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of New Hutton, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "New Hutton".