Place:


Gilston  Hertfordshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gilston like this:

GILSTON, a parish in Ware district, Herts; on an affluent of the river Stort, near the boundary with Essex, 2 miles N of Burnt Mill r. station, and 3½ WSW of Sawbridgeworth. Post town, Harlow. Acres, 980. Real property, £2, 274. Pop., 270. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. Gilston Park belonged to the Plumers, and passed to the Wards. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £241.* Patron, the Bishop of Rochester. The church is ancient but good, and has a tower and spire. Charities, £6.

Gilston through time

Gilston is now part of East Hertfordshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hertfordshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gilston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gilston in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/4364

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gilston ".