In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dawley like this:
DAWLEY-MAGNA, a township and a parish in Madeley district, Salop. The township lies on the Shrewsbury canal, and on the Wellington and Severn Junction railway, under the Wrekin, near Horsehay r. station, and 4 miles SE by S of Wellington. It has a post office, ‡ of the name of Dawley, under Wellington. The parish includes also Dawley Bank, ¾ of a mile distant, with another post office there under Wellington; also the townships of Dawley-Parva and Malinslee. Acres, 2, 743. Real property, £70, 858; of which £37, 253 are in ironworks, and £28, 442 in mines. ...
Pop., 11, 013. Houses, 2, 050. The property is divided among a few. Most of the inhabitants are employed in blast furnaces, forges, bar-iron mills, and collieries. Many short railways, for local transit, run among the works. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £150.* Patrons, R. Phillips, Esq., and others. The church is tolerable. The vicarages of Dawley-Parva and Malinslee are separate benefices. A Wesleyan chapel, of coloured bricks, with stone dressings, at a cost of about £1, 200, was built in 1861. There are chapels also for Baptists, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dawley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Telford and Wrekin. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dawley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dawley, in Telford and Wrekin and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th April 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dawley".