In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gwersyllt like this:
GWERSYLLT, a village and a township in Gresford parish, and a chapelry partly also in Wrexham parish, Denbigh. The village stands on the river Alen and the Wrexham and Mold railway, 2 miles NNW of Wrexham; and has a r. station. The township comprises 1, 654 acres. Real property, £18, 494; of which £13, 705 are in mines, and £395 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 1, 205; in 1861, 1, 356. Houses, 272. The property is divided among a few. Upper Gwersyllt House and Lower Gwersyllt House are the chief seats; and the former was the seat of Robinson, the royalist. ...
Coal is extensively worked.The chapelry includes all the township, and a small part of Wrexham parish; and was constituted in 1851. Post town, Gresford, under Wrexham. Pop., 1, 593. Houses, 314. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £135. Patron, the Vicar of Gresford. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Gwersyllt has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wrexham. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Gwersyllt and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gwersyllt, in Wrexham and Denbighshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Gwersyllt".