In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Newdigate like this:
NEWDIGATE, a village and a parish in Dorking district, Surrey. The village stands near a head-stream of the river Mole, 2½ miles N of the boundary with Sussex, and 5¾ S S E of Dorking r. station; and has a post-office under Dorking. The parish contains also the hamlet of Park-gate. Acres, 4, 458. Real property, £2, 612. Pop., 608. Houses, 106. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to the Albinis; and passed, through the Fitz-alans and others, to the Newdegates. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £353.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly early English, in good condition; and has a tower and spire. There are an endowed school with £54 a year, and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Newdigate has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mole Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Newdigate and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Newdigate, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Newdigate".