In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dilwyn like this:
DILWYN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Weobly district, Hereford. The village bears the name of Church-Dilwyn; stands 2½ miles NNE of Weobly, and 3 SSE of Pembridge r. station; and has a post office, of the name of Dilwyn, under Leominster. The parish includes also the townships of Sollars-Dilwyn, Fawley, Luntley, Haven-with-the-Headland, and Newtown-with-Hurst. Acres, 6, 067. Real property, £9, 722. Pop., 1, 069. Houses, 238. The property is much subdivided. The living. is a vicarage in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £381. Patron, the Bishop of Hereford. The church is mainly Norman; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with large tower and wooden spire; and was recently in disrepair. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, and charities £35.The sub-district contains eight parishes. Acres, 20, 552. Pop., 3, 701. Houses, 804.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dilwyn has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dilwyn and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dilwyn in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dilwyn".