In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brilley like this:
BRILLEY, a parish in the district of Presteigne and county of Hereford; and a subdistrict partly also in the county of Radnor. The parish lies on the verge of the county near the river Wye and the Hereford and Brecon railway, 5½ miles NNE of Hay. Post Town, Whitney, under Hereford. Acres, 3,792. Real property, £4,182. Pop., 517. Houses, 104. The living is a vicarage, united with the rectory of Michael church, in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £350.* Patron, the Bishop of Worcester. A school has £50 from endowment; and other charities £6.-The subdistrict contains seven parishes. Acres, 15,315. Pop., 2,067. Houses, 409.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brilley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brilley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brilley in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brilley".