In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Woodland like this:
WOODLAND, a township in Cockfield parish, Durham; 4½ miles NE of Barnard-Castle. Acres, 3,510. Real property, £1,009; of which £160 are in mines. Pop., 252. Houses, 54. A small church was built here in 1866; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Woodland has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teesdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Woodland and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Woodland, in Teesdale and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Woodland".