In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Caerleon like this:
Caerleon, town with ry. sta., Llangattock par., S. Monmouthshire, on river Usk, 2½ miles NE. of Newport and 26 miles NW. of Bristol, pop. 1099; P.O., T.O. It was the Isca Silurum of the Romans, and at a later period a celebrated seat of religion and learning. In an adjacent field is an elliptical cavity called Arthur's Round Table, probably the relic of a Roman amphitheatre.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Caerleon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Caerleon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Caerleon, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Caerleon".