In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Evenwood like this:
EVENWOOD, a village and a chapelry in Barony township, Auckland-St. Andrew parish, Durham. The village stands on an eminence, above the river Gaunless, adjacent to the Northern Counties Union railway, 5 miles SW of Bishop-Auckland; and has a station on the railway. The chapelry was constituted in 1863. Post town, Cockfield, under Darlington. Pop., 1, 949. Many of the inhabitants are coal miners. A castle once stood here; and there are still traces of its moat. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £150. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Evenwood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teesdale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Evenwood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Evenwood, in Teesdale and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 02nd March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Evenwood".