In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingsteignton like this:
KINGSTEIGNTON, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands on the river Teign, near the South Devon railway, 1½ mile NNE of Newton-Abbot; was originally called Teignton-Regis; is a large place, with a commodious wharf; exports very great quantities of pipe clay and potters' clay; and has a post office under Newton-Abbot. The parish includes also the hamlet of Preston. Acres, 4, 021; of which 70 are water. Real property, £8, 040; of which £600 are in canals, and £40 in quarries. ...
Pop., 1, 652. Houses, 343. The property is much subdivided. The chief landowner is Lord Clifford of Ugbrooke Park, part of which is within the bounds of the parish. The climate was formerly remarkable for agues and other diseases; but has been corrected by means of drainage. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £350. Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church is ancient; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are chapels for Independents and Wes1eyans, a national school, and charities £6. Gale, the theological writer, was a native.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Kingsteignton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Teignbridge. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Kingsteignton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingsteignton, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th March 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Kingsteignton".