In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Easington like this:
EASINGTON, a village, a township, a parish, a sub-district, a district, and a ward in Durham. The village stands 2 miles from the coast, 2 E of Haswell r. station, and 9¼ E by N of Durham; occupies an elevated site; was anciently a place of importance; and has now a post office under Ferryhill. The township includes the village, and comprises 4, 990 acres of land, and 227 of water. Real property, £5, 531. Pop., 1, 073. Houses, 212. The parish contains also the townships of Shotton, Haswell, and Hawthorn. ...
Acres, 13, 730. Real property, £49, 007; of which £32, 916 are in mines, and £273 in railways. Pop., 7, 336. Houses, 1, 453. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Durham. Value, £1, 100.* Patron, the Bishop of Durham. The church has a nave, 63 feet by 46, with pillars round and octagonal; a chancel, 42 feet by 20; and a conspicuous tower, 60 feet high; and was restored in 1853. The parsonage is a very ancient edifice, with traces of a tower. Bernard Gilpin was rector. The vicarage of Shotton and Haswell, that of Hawthorn, and that of South Hetton, are separate benefices. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and charities £40. -The sub-district and the district are co-extensive; and comprise the parishes of Easington, Dalton-le-Dale, Seaham, Monk-Hesledon, and Castle-Eden, and parts of the parishes of Kelloe, Hart, and Bishop-Wearmouth. Acres, 38, 493. Poor-rates in 1862, £5, 439. Pop. in 1851, 21, 795; in 1861, 27, 293. Houses, 4, 891. Marriages in 1860, 210; births, 1, 247, -of which 55 were illegitimate; deaths, 579, -of which 298 were at ages under 5 years, and 8 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1,898; births, 10, 165; deaths, 4, 972. The places of worship in 1851 were 12 of the Church of England, with 4, 060 sittings; 11 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2, 053 s.; 8 of Primitive Methodists, with 1, 618 s.; 1 of the Wesleyan Association, with 248 s.; and 2 of Roman Catholics, with 350 s. The schools were 18 public day schools, with 1,853 scholars; 16 private day schools, with 880 s.; 25 Sunday schools, with 2, 935 s.; and 5 evening schools for adults, with 69 s. The workhouse is in Easington township.-The ward comprehends the central part of the eastern side of the county; and is bounded, on the W and the N, by the river Wear, from the neighbourhood of Croxdale to the sea, -and on the S, for a short distance, by the river Skerne, to the E of Fishburn. Acres, 79, 821. Pop. in 1851, 65, 848; in 1861, 77, 257. Houses, 14, 549.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Easington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Easington. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Easington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Easington in County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Easington".