In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cockerton like this:
COCKERTON, a township in Darlington parish, Durham; on a branch of the river Skerne, 1 mile NW of Darlington. It has a post office under Darlington. Acres, 1, 748. Real property, £4, 043. Pop., 576. Houses, 117. A number of the inhabitants are linen weavers. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a n. school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Cockerton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Darlington. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Cockerton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cockerton, in Darlington and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 01st September 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Cockerton".