In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Amlwch like this:
Amlwch, par. and seaport, N. Anglesey, 22 miles NW. of Bangor by rail and 20 miles NE. of Holyhead by road, 9221 ac., pop. 4847; P.O., T.O., 3 Banks. Market-day, Saturday. The rich copper mines of the Parys mountain are near the town; also several smelting-furnaces and alum and vitriol works. It has a good harb., and is a terminus of the Chester and Holyhead Ry. Along with Holyhead, Llangefni, and Beaumaris it returned 1 member to Parliament until 1885.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Amlwch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of the Isle of Anglesey. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Amlwch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Amlwch in The the Isle of Anglesey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Amlwch".