In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Heanton Punchardon like this:
HEANTON-PUNCHARDON, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands near the mouth of the river Taw, 4½ miles NNW of Barnstaple r. station. The parish contains also the hamlets of Chivenor, Wrafton, and West Ashford. Post town, Barnstaple. Acres, 3, 020. Real property, £3, 854. Pop., 540. Houses, 112. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to W. W. Williams, Esq. Heanton Court was formerly the seat of the Bassetts, and is now a farm house. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £431.* Patron, A. D. Bassett, Esq. The church is early English, and good; comprises nave and chancel, with a lofty tower; and has a handsome carved screen and a fine canopied tomb of one of the Coffin family. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Heanton Punchardon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Heanton Punchardon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Heanton Punchardon in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Heanton Punchardon".