In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stanton like this:
STANTON, a township-chapelry, with a village, in Youlgreave parish, Derby; 1½ mile SW of Rowsley r. station, and 3½ SSE of Bakewell. Post town, Bakewell. Acres, 1,838. Real property, £2,787. Pop., 716. Houses, 158. The manor, with S.-Hall, belongs to W. P. Thornhill, Esq. S.-Wood House is a seat of the Duke of Rutland. S.-Lees, S.-Hillside, Pilbrough, and Congreave also are prominent places. The living is a p. curacy, united with Rowtor, in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patron, W. P. Thornhill, Esq. The church was built in 1839, and has a tower and spire. There are a dissenting chapel and a free school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stanton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Derbyshire Dales. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stanton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stanton in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stanton".