In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bacup like this:
BACOP, or Bacup, a town and three chapelries in Whalley and Rochdale parishes, Lancashire. The town stands on the river Irwell, at the terminus of a branch of the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, 7 miles NNW of Rochdale; is a seat of petty sessions and county courts; and carries on industry in cotton factories, woollen print works, Turkey-red dye-works, iron foundries, corn mills, and coal mining; has been much improved, by a local board, since 1864; and has a post office‡ under Manchester, a r. ...
station with telegraph, a banking office, a police station, waterworks, a market-hall of 1867 built at a cost of £6,000, a plain church of 1788, two churches of 1854 and 1865 in the early English style, two recent handsome Wesleyan chapels, seven other dissenting chapels, a Roman Catholic chapel, a mechanics institution, with public hall and reading rooms, several public schools, a weekly market on Saturday, and two annual pleasure fairs. Pop. in 1851, 6,981; in 1861, 10,935. Houses, 2,085. The chapelries are St. John, Christchurch, and St. Saviour. Pop., 6,981,5,730, and 2,350. The livings of St. J. andare vicarages, and that of St. S. is a p. curacy, in the dio. of Manchester. Value of St. J. and C., each £300; of St. S., £159.* Patrons of St. J., Hulme's Trustees; of C., Five Trustees; of St. S., J. M. Holt, Esq.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bacup, in Rossendale and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bacup ".