In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Mellor like this:
MELLOR, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Glossop parish, Derby. The village stands near the river Goyt at the boundary with Cheshire, 1¼ mile ESE of Marple-Bridge r. station, and 6 E by S of Stockport; and has a post office under Stockport. The township comprises 2,352 acres. Real property, £6,947; of which £120 are in mines. Pop., 1,733. Houses, 341. The manor belongs to the Duke of Devonshire.The chapelry is more extensive than the township, and was constituted in 1838. ...
Pop., 3,373. Houses, 687. The property is much subdivided. There are cotton mills, bleachingworks, and collieries. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £123. Patron, the Rev. T. M. Freeman. The church stands on a commanding site, with extensive views; and is a very plain building, with an old tower. There are chapels for Independents, Primitive Methodists, United Free Methodists, and Roman Catholics, and an endowed school with £25 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Mellor has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Stockport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Mellor and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Mellor, in Stockport and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Mellor".