In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Longford like this:
LONGFORD, a township and a parish in Ashborne district, Derby. The township lies on an affluent of the river Dove, 5¾ miles SSE of Ashborne r. station; and has a post office under Derby. Real property, £5,312. Pop., 500. Houses, 95. The parish contains also the townships of Hollington, Rodsley, and Alkmonton, and the liberty of Hungry-Bentley. Acres, 3,920. Real property, £10,418. Pop., 1,157. Houses, 228. The property is not much divided. The manors of Longford, Hollington, and Rodsley belong to the Hon. ...
E. K. W. Coke; and that of Hungry-Bentley belongs to Lord Vernon. Longford Hall is the seat of the Hon. E. K. W. Coke. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £700. * Patron, W. Evans, Esq. The church is partly Norman; was restored in 1843; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments to the Coke family. The vicarage of Alkmouton is a separate benefice. There was once a chapel in Hungry-Bentley. There are a national school in Longford township; a Primitive Methodist chapel in Hollington; Wesleyan chapels in Rodsley and in Thurvaston; a national school for boys and girls, an endowed school, with £40 a year, and alms houses with £55, founded by the Coke family.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Longford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Derbyshire Dales. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Longford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Longford in Derbyshire Dales | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th July 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Longford".