In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morecambe like this:
MORECAMBE BAY, a sea-inlet on the coast of Lancashire and Westmoreland; entering between Rossall Point, 2¼ miles W of Fleetwood, and Haws Point, at the S extremity of Walney Island, belonging to Furness. It measures 10 miles across the entrance; it extends 19 miles north-eastward to the mouth of the river Kent; it expands, in the lower part of the SE side, into Lancaster bay; it connects, at the middle of the NW side, with the estuary of the river Leven; and it has a mean breadth of about 10 miles. ...
It presents a grand appearance when the tide is up; but is nearly all a waste of sands, with shifting pieces of soft and dangerous bottom, during a long period between tide and tide. The sands can be crossed on foot; and they formed, from remote times, the line of communication between central Lancashire and Furness; but they ought never, on any account, to be attempted by a stranger without a guide. The views from them include a great sweep of country, away to the Furness mountains and to the backbone of England; and are very imposing. The southern and central portions are often called Lancaster Sands; and the northwestern portions, toward the mouth of the Leven, are called Leven Sands. The bay is noticed by Ptolemy as Moricambe estuary.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morecambe, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 29th March 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morecambe ".