In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Rowley Regis like this:
ROWLEY-REGIS, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Dudley district, Stafford. The village stands adjacent to the Birmingham and Stourbridge railway, near the Birmingham canal, 2¾ miles S E of Dudley; and has a station on the railway, a post-office‡ under Dudley, and a police station. The parish contains also the villages or hamlets of Cradley-Heath, Old Hill, Reddall-Hill, and Tividale. Acres, 3, 503. Real property, £98, 550; of which £44, 234 are in mines, £320 in quarries, £32, 699 in iron-works, and £356 in gas-works. ...
Pop. in 1851, 14, 249; in 1861, 19, 785. Houses, 3, 685. The increase of pop. arose from the extension of miningoperations, and of iron-manufacture. There are severalgood residences. The Rowley hills diversify the surface; rise to an altitude of nearly 900 feet; and send off streamsin opposite directions, towards the Trent and the Severn. Coal, ironstone, building-stone, and excellent clay abound. Iron-works at Corngreaves and Cradley are of great extent; and steel-works, hardware manufactories, agricultural implement works, tile-kilns, and malting establishments, in various parts, employ very many hands. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £300.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church comprises nave, aisles, and chancel; and has a tower, rebuilt in 1858. The p. curacy of Reddall-Hill is a separate benefice. Value, £300. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and New Connexion Methodists, two endowed schools with £73 a year, a largeschool erected by the New British Iron company, a national school, and charities £60 A Wesleyan chapel at Rowley village was erected in 1863. The sub-districtis conterminate with the parish.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Rowley Regis has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Sandwell. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Rowley Regis and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Rowley Regis, in Sandwell and Staffordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Rowley Regis".