In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Darowen like this:
DAROWEN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Machynlleth district, Montgomery. The village stands near the confluence of the rivers Twymyn and Dovey, 1½ mile S of Cemmes-Road r. station, and 6½ E by N of Machynlleth. The parish comprises the townships of Caerseddfan and Noddfa; the latter of which includes the village. Post town, Cemmes, under Shrewsbury. Acres, 10, 000. Real property, £4, 137; of which £100 are in mines. Pop., 1, 227. Houses, 235. The property is much subdivided. ...
Great part of the surface is sheep-walk. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bangor. Value, £155.* Patron, the Bishop of Bangor. The church was rebuilt in 1864, and is in early English. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and charities £8. Davies, the translator of the Welsh Bible, and Bishop Randalph were incumbents.The sub-district contains three parishes. Acres, 38, 253. Pop., 4, 160.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Darowen has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Darowen and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Darowen, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Darowen".