In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Exton like this:
EXTON, a village and a parish in Droxford district, Hants. The village stands 2 miles N by E of Droxford, and 5 NE of Bishops-Waltham r. station; and has a post office under Southampton. The parish comprises 2, 464 acres. Real property, £2, 640. Pop., 257. Houses, 41. Exton Lodge is a principal residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, 331.* Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was rebuilt in 1847, and is in the early English style.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Exton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Winchester. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Exton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Exton, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Exton".