In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deane like this:
DEANE, a parish in Basingstoke district, Hants; on the Basingstoke and Salisbury railway, near Oakley r. station, 5½ miles W by S of Basingstoke. Post town, Overton, under Micheldever Station. Acres, 1, 557. Real property, £1, 760. Pop., 135. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. The manor was bought by the famous bishop Wm. Wickham; and passed to the Parrotts, the Fieneses, the Deanes, and the Harwoods. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £336. Patron, W. Beach, Esq. The church was rebuilt, in 1830, by W. Bramstone, Esq. of Oakley Hall, at a cost of £7, 000; is a handsome Gothic structure, with a lofty square tower; and contains a three-arched stone screen, and several neat mural monuments.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Deane has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Basingstoke and Deane. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Deane and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deane, in Basingstoke and Deane and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Deane".