In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bursledon like this:
BURSLEDON, a village and a parish in South Stoneham district, Hants. The village stands on the Humblecreek, 4¼ miles SSW of Botley and Bishops-Waltham r. station, and 4¾ ESE of Southampton; and has a post office under Southampton. A small quay is here; and trade is carried on in corn and coals; and ship-building was formerly done to the extent of constructing some large men of war. The parish comprises 759 acres of land and 110 of water. Real property, £2,231. Pop., 659. Houses, 149. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, under the vicarage of Hound, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £110.* Patron, Winton College. The church possesses interest, but is not good. A railway from Botley to Bishops-Waltham was formed in 1862-3; and one was contemplated, at the same time, from Botley to Bursledon.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bursledon has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eastleigh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bursledon and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bursledon, in Eastleigh and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bursledon".