In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bixley like this:
BIXLEY, a parish in Henstead district, Norfolk; near the Eastern Union railway, 3 miles SE by S of Norwich. Post Town, Norwich. Acres, 760. Real property, £1,814. Pop., 161. Houses, 31. The property is divided among a few. Bixley Hall is a handsome edifice, built, about the middle of last century, by Sir Edward Ward. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Earls-Framingham, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £608. Patron, the Rev.D. Brereton. The church is ancient and good; contains monuments of the Wards; and formerly had an image of St. Wandegisilus, to which pilgrim ages were made.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Bixley has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Bixley and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bixley in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Bixley".