In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Golcar like this:
GOLCAR, a village, a township-chapelry, and a sub-district in Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands adjacent to the Manchester and Leeds railway, 3½ miles W by S of Huddersfield; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Hudders-field. -The chapelry includes also the village of Well-house; is in Huddersfield parish; and is separated by the river Colne from Almondbury. Acres, 1, 560. Real property, £10, 105. Pop. in 1851, 4, 212; in 1861, 5, 110. ...
Houses, 1, 019. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cloth manufacture; and the increase of pop. arose from the opening of new mills. There are mineral spa-baths, in much repute. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Huddersfield. The church was built in 1830 is in the early English style; and has a tower and spire. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and New Connexion Methodists, two national schools, and a workhouse.The sub-district includes also three other townships of Huddersfield parish. Acres, 6, 760. Pop., 13, 783. Houses, 2, 769.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Golcar has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kirklees. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Golcar and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Golcar, in Kirklees and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Golcar".