In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Thurton like this:
THURTON, a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; 2¾ miles NW of Loddon, and 3¾ SSW of Buckenham r. station. Post town, Loddon, under Norwich. Acres, 771. Real property, £1,561. Pop., 246. Houses, 55. The manor belongs to Sir T. W. B. P. Beauchamp, Bart. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £70. Patron, Sir T. W. B. P. Beauchamp, Bart. The church is good. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Thurton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Thurton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Thurton in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Thurton".