In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hound like this:
HOUND, a village and a parish in South Stoneham district, Hants. The village stands on the E side of Southampton water, near Netley r. station, and 3¾ miles SE of Southampton; and its post town is either NetleyAbbey or Hamble, under Southampton. The parish contains the tythings of Satchell, Sholing, and Netley. Acres, 4, 691; of which 1, 035 are water. Real property, exclusive of Sholing, £3, 207. Pop. in 1 851, 807; in 1861, 2, 039. Houses, 350. The increase of pop. was caused partly by works in progress at the Victoria hospital at Netley. ...
The property is subdivided. The objects of chief interest are at Netley-Abbey, and will be noticed in the article Netley. Much of the land is under wood. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £215.* Patron, Winchester College. The church is very old; was restored in 1866; and consists only of nave and very long chancel, with small wooden steeple. The vicarage of Bursledon and the p. curacy of Sholing are separate benefices; and the latter was constituted in 1866.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hound has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eastleigh. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hound and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hound, in Eastleigh and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hound".