In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Petherwin like this:
PETHERWIN (North), a village and a parish in the district of Launceston and county of Devon; and a sub-district mainly in Cornwall. The village stands near the boundary with Cornwall, 4½ miles N W of Launceston r.station; and has a post-office under Launceston. The parish contains also the hamlets of Brassacott, Helscott, and Maxworthy. Acres, 8, 157. Real property, £4, 402-Pop., 945. Houses, 183. The property is subdivided; but the greater part is in the Duke of Bedford's manor of Werrington. ...
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £135.* Patron, the Duke of Bedford-The church is ancient, with later English windows; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains monuments of the Yeos, the Herrings, the Kingdons, and others. There are two chapels for Wesleyans, two for Bible Christians, one for U. Free Methodist, and a national school.The sub-district contains N. P. parish in Devon, and five parishes in Cornwall. Acres, 20, 615. Pop., 2, 269. Houses, 452.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing North Petherwin has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Cornwall. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering North Petherwin and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Petherwin, in North Cornwall and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th January 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "North Petherwin".