Place:


Morvah  Cornwall

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Morvah like this:

MORVAH, a parish, with a small village, in Penzance district, Cornwall; on the coast, 6 miles NW by W of Penzance r. station. Post town, Penzance. Acres, 1,226. Real property, £900. Pop., 380. Houses, 72. Tregamynon was a seat of the Lanyons. Porthmear cove and Portherras cove are on the coast; and large blocks of granite are at Carn-Galva. ...


There are a Danish fort, called Castle-Chun, and a cromlech. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Madron, in the diocese of Exeter. The church was rebuilt in 1828, has a tower, and contains an ancient font and numerous monuments.

Morvah through time

Morvah is now part of Penwith district. Click here for graphs and data of how Penwith has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Morvah itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Morvah, in Penwith and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3869

Date accessed: 23rd July 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Morvah ".