In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coedcernyw like this:
COEDKERNEW, a parish in Newport district, Monmouth; adjacent to the South Wales railway, 1½ mile NE of Marshfield r. station, and 4 SW of Newport. Post town, Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 765. Real property, £1, 078. Pop., 163. Houses, 29. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of St. Bride-Wentllooge, in the diocese of Llandaff. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Coedcernyw has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Newport. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Coedcernyw and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coedcernyw, in Newport and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th July 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Coedcernyw".