Place:


Swavesey  Cambridgeshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Swavesey like this:

SWAVESEY-popularly Swasey-a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in the district of St. Ives and county of Cambridge. The village stands on the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 3½ miles ESE of St. Ives; was once a market-town; and has a post-office under St. Ives, and a r. station. The parish comprises 3,891 acres. ...


Real property, £8,133. Pop., 1,371. Houses, 309. The property is divided among a few. A black alien priory was founded here in the time of the Confessor; and was given, by Richard II., to Coventry priory. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £428.* Patron, Jesus College, Cambridge. The church belonged to the priory, and is good. The vicarage was built in 1864. There are Baptist and Unitarian chapels, a national school, and charities £64. Ockley, the Arabic scholar, was vicar.—The sub-district contains 6 parishes. Acres, 14,161. Pop., 3,675. Houses, 787.

Swavesey through time

Swavesey is now part of South Cambridgeshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Cambridgeshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Swavesey itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Swavesey in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/3827

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Swavesey ".