In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Leverington like this:
LEVERINGTON, a village, a parish, and a dis-district, in Wisbeach district, Cambridge. The village stands near the boundary with Norfolk, 1 mile W of the river Nen, and 2 NW by N of Wisbeach r. station; and has a post office under Wisbeach. The parish contains also the hamlets of Drove-Fen, Swan-Gull, and Murrow, and the chapelry of Parson-Drove. Acres, 7,871. Real property, £21,249. Pop., 2,143. Houses, 460. The property is subdivided; and several of the landowners farm their own estates. ...
The surface was formerly fen; but now, in general, has a rich loamy soil. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £2,350. * Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church is early English; was restored and beautified in 1856; comprises nave, aisles, chancel, and porch, with tower and spire; and contains sedilia, an ancient font, and several monuments. The p. curacy of Parson-Drove is a separate benefice. A chantry was formerly at Fitten-End; and an hospital was anciently at the village. There are an endowed school with £48 a year, and other charities, with £450. Bishop Warren and Nasmith the editor of Tanner's "Notitia," were rectors.The sub-district contains also three other parishes. Acres, 25,524. Pop., 5,385. Houses, 1.178.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Leverington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Fenland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Leverington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Leverington, in Fenland and Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 18th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Leverington".