In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Impington like this:
IMPINGTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands 1 mile ESE of Histon r. station, and 2 ½ N of Cambridge; and was once a market town. The parish comprises 1, 200 acres. Real property, £2, 759. Pop. in 1851, 273; in 1861, 335. Houses, 75. The property is much subdivided. A handsome mansion here belonged to the Pepys family; is frequently mentioned in Pepys' diary; and passed, not long ago, to the family of Coffin. A woman of this parish was enveloped in a snow drift in 1799, remained in it nearly eight days and nights, and was taken out alive; and a monument, recording the event, now stands on the spot. ...
The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £128. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and has a brass of the Burgoynes of 1500. There are a national school, and charities £6.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Impington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Impington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Impington in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 11th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Impington".